Posted Thursday, May 31st, 2018
Service Adjustments Required During Positive Train Control Equipment Installation
Beginning Monday, June 4th, some NJ Transit trains temporarily will be discontinued or have changes of origin or destination due to the continued installation of safety equipment on its rail fleet.
To accommodate this critical safety upgrade of Positive Train Control (PTC) equipment, weekday rail schedules are being adjusted to allow for hardware components to be installed on locomotives and cab cars.
This will impact customers along the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line, Morris & Essex Lines, and Pascack Valley Line. Other trains throughout the system will have schedule and/or station stop adjustments. These schedule adjustments are temporary and will be restored in early 2019.
“NJ TRANSIT understands that any change to the train schedule has an impact on the travel patterns of our customers,’’ said Executive Director Kevin Corbett. “We are doing everything in our power to install this important safety technology as quickly as possible. I ask for customers’ patience during this process as the end result is a safer railroad for everyone.”
Customers are strongly encouraged to view the full timetables on njtransit.com for all travel options at http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=SummerServiceTo
Morris & Essex Lines (M&E):
Schedules were adjusted on several M&E trains in an effort to mitigate the service impacts on customers to the greatest extent possible. Customers are strongly encouraged to review the printable M&E schedule at http://www.njtransit.com/AdminTemp/ME_SafeCommutePrintableSchdeule.pdf
Major highlights below:
INBOUND – Change in Origin Stations
- Train 608, the 5:45 a.m. departure from Dover to Hoboken has service eliminated from Dover to Chatham. Train originates in Summit.
o Earlier option departs at 5:33 a.m. (Requires transfer at Newark Broad for Hoboken)
o Later option departs at 5:54 a.m. (Requires transfer at Newark Broad for Hoboken)
- Train 626, the 8:28 a.m. departure from Dover to Hoboken has service eliminated from Dover to Morris Plains. Train originates in in Morristown.
o Earlier option departs at 8:08 a.m. (Requires transfer at Summit for Hoboken)
o Later option departs at 9:06 a.m. (Requires transfer at Newark Broad for Hoboken)
OUTBOUND – Temporarily Discontinued
- Train 609, the 6:42 a.m. departure from Hoboken to Dover
o Earlier option departs at 6:15 a.m.
o Later option departs at 6:55 a.m. (Requires transfer at Summit for Dover)
- Train 645, the 5:08 p.m. departure from Hoboken to Dover.
o Earlier option departs at 4:42 p.m.
o Later option departs at 5:12 p.m. (Requires transfer at Newark Broad for Dover)
* Check njtransit.com or news media before starting your trip for service advisories at http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TravelAlertsTo.
* Download NJ TRANSIT’s Mobile App for easy access to service information and advisories, ticket purchases via MyTix, real-time train departure status through DepartureVision, real-time or scheduled bus arrivals through MyBus, and other features to assist you during your commute.
* Stay connected during your commute through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. Search for rail, bus or light rail-specific Twitter accounts for the best information. While we make every effort to respond to comments posted on our social media channels, we recommend that you contact our Customer Service team directly with critical or time-sensitive issues.
* Twitter: @NJTRANSIT
* Facebook: facebook.com/NJTRANSIT
* YouTube Channel: TheNewJerseyTransit